It’s All About Connection – Gen C
Connecting to your customers is key. To do that, it’s crucial to know your audience. Who are you targeting? There’s so much information about Millennials, how to reach them and why they require a different marketing approach than other groups. Now comes Gen C also referred to as Generation C. The C stands for connected.
Is this a different group of people? Gen C is not defined by the year you were born but by your digital actions. When writing about millennials, I found myself thinking I had many of the attributes that described them (well not the age part-I’m older) but then I read all the articles about Gen C, these descriptors are a much closer description of how I work and surf. What are these characteristics?
• Connected—well of course, that’s the premise of this blog. Many were born into this technologically driven connected entity and others have adopted it. They connect through technology: smart phones, iPads, tablets, and wearable devices. It’s how they create deeper relationships with their family, friends, interests and co-workers. They are online—all the time.
• Community centric—as a way to stay connected to things they are passionate about, they think community by joining and following online groups or starting them.
• Content driven—whether they create it or consume it, it’s important to them. It’s where they derive their information and that drives their actions. Videos have become a huge part of the content they enjoy and YouTube is a favorite destination for them.
• Communicators—they communicate digitally and often. It’s become an easier medium for them to reach out this way. Social platforms have certainly helped with this.
• Collaborators—they absorb the information they consume and share it. This allows them to collaborate with companies and brands. They provide reviews and look to others for their reactions and opinions
Do these describe you too? I’m sure some, if not all, these apply to many of you. If you are reading this–you are connected. Gen C overlaps with Millennials and other generations too. Since it’s based on behaviors, the age group can span from teens to retirees.
So what do we do now? Just as in reaching millennials, it is important to connect to the Gen C audience in the medium they prefer—digital. Meet them where they are, allow and encourage them to interact and communicate with you. They are already connected. You just need them to connect with you.
Learn more about how Elation Digital can help you connect to your audience!
Elation Digital develops a wide variety of interactive brand experiences and event technologies to draw crowds for tradeshows, events and mobile marketing tours including photo & video activations, custom branded games, infotainment, social media, data capture, tracking and reporting. Their solutions are perfect for all budget levels from simple solutions to complete integrated campaigns.