In a world where online shopping and digital interactions are growing constantly, one must be aware of their consequences for retail and how it can benefit from this. Big retail chains are keeping up with the phenomena by reinventing its way to attract more shoppers, either by creating very complete online portals or by bringing technology to its physical spaces.
So, how consumers are using digital platforms for buying goods while inside a physical store?
The answer is, by using Apps or Websites that allow to know more about the product they are looking at and even compare with others.
A growing number of consumers are using mobile as an in-store support device as well as retailers are using it to attract consumers to stores. The combination of classic, in-store retail, with digital technologies and platforms, will simply do what is more important in a business – to serve clients as good as possible.
This information is backed up by statistical information, from a study ordered by Google Think Insights to Ipsos MediaCT and Purchased®. This study was made from the 10th to the 22th January 2014 where 4,500 respondents completed one of nine vertical specific online surveys. Some of the key findings are listed below:
- 4 in 5 consumers use search engines to find local information.
- 50% of consumers who conducted a local search on their smartphone visited a store within a day, and 34% who searched on computer/tablet did the same.
- 4 in 5 consumers want ads customized to their city, zip code or immediate surroundings.
- More than 60% of consumers have used location information in ads.
- Local searches lead to more purchases than non-local searches.
- 88% of local searches are done on smartphones.
- 53% of consumers search locally at home, 51% on the go and a staggering 41% search for information when they are already inside the store.
In the US alone, 44,6% of respondents said they use smartphones inside a store. This is a great opportunity to develop your own app and start attracting and engaging with your customers.
This trend will not change.
You can read the full Paper at journalengineering.fe.up.pt/article/download/270/170.